Monday, March 20, 2006

Feeding Frenzy


Are you really going to let me try this myself?
Originally uploaded by Temmerling.
One of the things we've been working on here in the Frog Pond is self-feeding. That way Kristin and I are one step closer to being able to resume our couch-potato lives without interruptions for baby. In fact, soon SHE'LL be able to bring food to US! yeah. Cheetos on the couch, bring it on!

Anyway. That's for later. For now we're just working on trying to keep the food in the general vicinity of her mouth. To that end, we bought these cute little Gerber Dippers. They're ridged little stick things that the babyfood clings too so Julia doesn't have to worry about keeping the spoon the right side up. This is just to get her in the habit of using a utensil.

Yeah. Maybe we should have worked on her (non-existent) skill at getting cheerios into her mouth first. Oh well, hind sight is always 20/20.

When I first put the bowl in front of her and placed the dipper in her hand, she seemed a bit unsure. As if it were a cruel joke.

Then, she started getting into it. You mean I dip this thing in here? Really getting her hands and dipper in there.

During all this, I continued to feed her with a spoon AND help her get the dipper from her mouth to the bowl. We made a HUGE mess, but had a blast!

Then, because not only had we not gotten messy enough, but we also had not yet had dessert, I put some frozen berries into a mesh bag for munching on. Actually, that's a misstatement. I had put the frozen berries in the bag when we started. MEANWHILE, they melted while we played with the yellow gunk. So they were quite drippy by dessert time.
Mmmm, mushing berries in a mesh bag Julia wasn't exactly certain what to do with this bag... but eventually she discovered that it made a nice paint brush.

Finally, because Julia is a girl who doesn't really like to be covered with gunk, she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was ready to get out. Don't you think you should put the camera down and get me out of here now?
Unfortunately, I didn't get the message. So she had to get a bit firmer. I REALLY want OUT OF HERE!!!
Not to worry, though. I did eventually get her out and in the bath where her equanimity was restored.
I guess we should stick with working on picking up cheerios.

Posted by Trista @ 12:37 PM